Download our free resources to help you identify some common British plants and animals.
Plants and fungi
An illustrated guide to common hedgerow plants.
Discover the six most common species found in the UK.
A guide to common seaweeds you can find on the British coast.
Record invasive marine species – Sealife Tracker app.
- Bee Orchids (PDF, 915KB)
Discover Bee Orchids and their relatives, and help NHM scientists track the spread of this species.
- Urban ferns (PDF, 2.16MB)
A guide to eight common wall ferns that can be spotted around British towns and cities.
A simple guide to nine common lichens.
Orchard lichens and mosses
Guides to lichens and mosses commonly found in orchards, especially in the East of England.
Dragonflies and damselflies
A guide to the most common dragonflies and damselflies.
Water boatman or water beetle? Identify the aquatic invertebrates living in your pond.
- Spiders in your home guide (PDF, 1.4MB)
Learn more about the different species that share our living spaces and what time of year you can find them.
Sort your frogs from your toads with this helpful identification guide.
Classification – teacher pack
- Classification pack (ZIP 2.56MB)
Aimed at Key Stage 3, this pack includes lesson plans to support the teaching of biological classification.
Heathland field guide
- Heathland guide (PDF, 3.19MB)
A free guide to the reptiles, invertebrates, birds and plants that make their home in heathland.
Bats in flight
- Bats in flight guide (PDF, 1.36MB)
Key details to help you identify five of the most common species you can see in our skies.
Still struggling? Identify anything and everything with help from these online communities:
- OPAL iSpot – upload your wildlife pictures and a community of experts and enthusiasts will identify them.
- Identification forums on the Natural History Museum website – get help with identifying everything from fossils to birds.