There is a common perception that many natural history societies are suffering from a decline in membership and have difficulty attracting young members.
Are natural history societies struggling?
To investigate the facts, OPAL carried out a consultation in 2009 to learn more about natural history societies, their members and the way they work.
The results were encouraging, with 81% of responding groups either maintaining membership at the same level, or growing.
Are you a member of a natural history society? How does your group compare with our results?
- Read the full consultation report (PDF, 225KB)
What’s in the report?
- Member analysis (age, gender and number)
- Income and funding sources
- Staff and volunteer recruitment
- SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats)
- Support requested by societies to help them improve their work.