Create your own online nature survey. Whether you want to run a bat survey in your neighbourhood, or collect species observations from all over the world, Indicia makes collecting records on your website easy, and it's free.
Collect nature records on your website
Developed by the National Biodiversity Network (NBN) and funded by OPAL, Indicia is simple to install and can be fully customised to suit your needs.
There's even Instant Indicia for those that want to get up and running quickly but lack technical expertise.
- Customisable form – request the exact information you need
- Collect date, location, and even photos
- Defined species lists, so no confusion over data submitted
- Records displayed instantly on interactive map
- Customisable design
- Collected data easily submitted to the wider NBN database
- Completely FREE
There are a few different versions of Indicia, and the one you need will depend on your website and requirements. In most cases Instant Indicia is recommended, as this has been designed to make set-up as quick and simple as possible.
Help and support
If you have any trouble, there’s even a forum where you can get answers to any questions.
- Visit the Indicia discussion forums on the NBN website
Examples of Indicia in action
A number of societies and schemes are already using Indicia to collect species records, and the number is growing. Check out some of the examples below:
Indicia is an Open Source project funded by OPAL and managed by the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology.