Group leaders' support pack
This pack provides a range of advice and ideas for carrying out the Bugs Count survey with a group. It includes:
- background information on the survey
- aims of the survey
- preparation – things to consider before the day
- helpful hints and frequently asked questions
- follow-up ideas.
- Bugs Count – group leader support pack (PDF, 204KB)
This invertebrate picture quiz is a great warm-up activity to familiarise the group with the invertebrates they are about to search for.
This teaching supplement complements the group leaders' support pack and includes:
- links to the school curriculum and ideas for further education
- ideas for teachers of Key Stage 2 and 3 Science
- example teaching plan for Key Stage 2 and 3 Science.
- Bugs Count teaching supplement (PDF, 484KB)
Example risk assessment
If you are running a group event you may need to prepare a risk assessment. This is an example for demonstration purposes only. It must be tailored to the specific risks present during your survey session.
OPAL accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions in this document, or any consequences of its use.
- Bugs Count example risk assessment (DOC, 43KB)