Parmelia is indifferent to air pollutants and can be found growing in both polluted and clean air environments.
It is quite hardy and can put up with large amounts of bird droppings, which will kill off many other lichens.
- Lobes thin, loosely attached to bark
- Pattern of white lines on the surface
- May leave a ring, like toadstools, if the central portion dies out
Did you know?
- Parmelia is used as a reddish-brown cloth dye. We don't recommend trying this
- Some species were once considered a cure for epilepsy and the plague