Explore your environment and learn more about the nature right on your doorstep.
The Open Air Laboratories (OPAL) network is a UK-wide citizen science initiative that allows you to get hands-on with nature, whatever your age, background or level of ability.
We develop activities and resources, including our national surveys, which allow you to get closer to your local environment.
- Take part in our citizen science surveys
- Are you an academic/researcher, or an organisation looking to work with us? Get in touch with us
The OPAL Network is led by Imperial College London and includes leading museums, universities and environmental organisations across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. In addition, OPAL supports an extensive network of active public participants located throughout the UK and beyond.
OPAL in numbers
- More than 1 million participants across the UK
- Over 7,100 organisations have worked with OPAL, many from areas of high deprivation, including:
- Over 4,000 schools
- Over 1,300 envrionmental NGOs and groups
- Over 930 local community groups
- Over 310 governmental bodies / agencies
- Over 72,000 surveys submitted, containing in excess of 1.5 million individual observations.
- Over 20 scientific papers published