The Polli:Nation survey is a large-scale national survey that will provide answers to important research questions about the health and status of pollinating insects across the UK.
You can contribute to this research by becoming a citizen scientist and surveying your local patch (school grounds, park or garden) for pollinators.
Why should I take part?
The survey gives you the opportunity to learn about pollinators and your local environment, get outside and learn new skills, and to contribute to important scientific research. The survey is for everyone, not just the registered Polli:Nation schools. So whether you don’t yet know your Honeybees from your Hoverflies, or you are a Lepidopteran (Butterflies and Moths) expert this survey is for you! No prior experience is necessary to take part in the survey; it has been designed for people of all ages, backgrounds and levels of experience. The Survey Booklet will guide you through the survey methodology step-by-step, and if you need any extra help you can refer to the Group Leader Support Guide.
How to take part
- Step 1 – Download and print the documents in English or in Welsh, ideally in colour.
- Step 2 – Find a suitable area and start looking for pollinators!
- Step 3 – Tell us what you find using our simple online form.
Enter your results online
If you are doing the Polli:Nation Survey at a registered school
- Enter your Polli:Nation Survey results
Creating Habitat for Pollinators
Now you have taken part in the Polli:Nation Survey find out how you can create and improve a pollinator friendly habitat.
Just want to submit a Species Quest sighting?
Use the form below to tell us about a Species Quest pollinator you've spotted outside the survey. Please include a photo if you can.
- Submit a Species Quest sighting
Problems entering your results online?
Send your results to:
OPAL, Centre for Environmental Policy,
London SW7 2AZ.
And remember, if you plan to make habitat improvements to your survey site then please re-survey your site the following year to help us build a clearer picture of how habitat changes are affecting the abundance of pollinators.
- Polli:Nation Survey Booklet (PDF, 1.1MB)
Instructions and recording sheet.
- Habitat, Plant and Pollinator Identification Guide (PDF, 1.6MB)
Illustrated cards to help identify the habitats, plants and pollinators you find.
By downloading this survey you agree to the terms and conditions for the OPAL Polli:Nation Survey
Group leaders and schools
Download our group leader support guide and our new recording sheets for schools:
Other useful links
- Download all the resources above in a single ZIP file
- Health and safety (LtL website)
- Planting for pollinators (RHS website)
View the results
- Polli:Nation results map – coming soon
- Species Quest distribution map – coming soon